What does «yagua» mean in spanish?
- Palm that serves as a vegetable; baskets, hats, etc. are made with it.
♦ Used in: Venezuela
- Fibrous tissue that surrounds the upper and more tender part of the trunk of the royal palm.
♦ Used in: Cuba - Puerto Rico
- The language spoken by the people of the same name in the north of. Estimated at about 5700 speakers (year 2000). Taught in local schools. Branch of the Peba-Yagua family.
♦ Used in: Peru
- Indigenous people of northern Peru and southern Colombia, with a current population estimated at 4,000 people. Their language belongs to the Peba-Yagua language family. Other names for the people Yahuna, Ñihamwo, Yihamwo, Nihamwo or Mishara. They base their economy on itinerant agriculture, fishing and hunting. They commercialize their handicrafts.
- Peba-Yagua languages. Family of indigenous languages spoken in northern Peru, southern Colombia and Brazil, its speakers are estimated at less than 6 thousand. Its dialects are: Yagua or yihamwo, Peba (extinct) and Yameo (extinct).